Here are 20 things about being gifted and twice-exceptional that I wish someone had told my parents and teachers to tell to me:
1. It’s okay.
2. We are gifted, too.
3. We get it. We really, really get it.
4. This is just the beginning.
5. The best things in life are free. And fuzzy. And living. And inanimate. And cuddly. And magical. And make-believe. And real. And whatever you want them to be.
6. Sometimes we don’t get it. We really, really don’t get it.
7. We can laugh at ourselves. You should laugh, too. A lot.
8. Crying is just another form of communication.
9. Sometimes you won’t have all the answers.
10. No, you are not always right. And neither are we.
11. Questions are friends and should be treated kindly and appreciated often.
12. It doesn’t matter how much you know, it’s how what you know makes you feel.
13. There are 24 hours in the day. ‘Tis a shame.
14. Snacks are delicious and so are emotions, but too much of anything makes your stomach hurt.
15. Just because you can’t right now, it doesn’t mean you never will.
16. Being gifted does not make you weird, awkward, different, arrogant, spoiled, entitled, or nerdy.
17. Our gifts do not all look the same.
18. There are times you will feel stupid. There are times someone else will call you stupid.
19. We don’t know what being gifted means either.
20. It’s okay.