A cornerstone in many parent’s strategy for coping with their gifted children’s overexcitabilities, Starbucks should create an OE menu for us. This is how the craziness goes down in my head after particularly trying days. I hope you find the resulting menu helpful.
1. Psychomotor: Caffeine! Espresso, triple shot, sounds just right! Then maybe I can do this thing. It will be totally awesome!! Excited!!! I think I’ll run a five-minute mile while reading over this IEP, reciting Keats’ poetry, playing solitaire on my ipad for some ‘me’ time, writing a sonnet, eating a muffin, twirling a baton, riding a unicycle, juggling bananas, running a five-minute mile… wait, didn’t I already say that? Time for another espresso!
2. Sensual: Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea, heavy on the whip cream. Oh my God this place smells fantastic! It’s like walking into my head and curling up on an oversized armchair next to a crackling fire with a fuzzy blanket and a good book. There is no on here, so I can just sip, stretch, sip, savor, and really fall in love with my moment. The place stays empty until that one old friend arrives who you love curling up next to with a good story. Heaven!
3. Intellectual: Coffee of the day, black. See here’s the thing, on many levels I support the fact that Starbucks uses coffee grown responsibly, but another part of me feels disgusted that so many small, eclectic, and caring coffeehouses have been shut down by big business. From a convenience perspective, I like that I can drive through, buy shade-grown coffee, reuse my personal cup, and be on with my day and my plans… but from the perspective of a financially-responsible adult, I worry about the financial strain a Starbucks habit could have on my family.
4. Imaginational: Juice in a mini coffee cup and a cake pop, pink with sprinkles. It’s such a fun treat to meet up with friends at Starbucks. It takes me back to my college days and the little stuffed animals, which have nothing to do with coffee, are so adorable and $14.99 isn’t too much, really, and I think I’ll download the free song of the day. Oooo! I have always been drawn to industrial music. Well, not really, but I can picture me with neon lipstick, an 80s hat, and a glow stick dancing around a closed down and repurposed coffee shop. Isn’t the tiny cup adorable?? I think I’ll keep it.
5. Emotional: I want to get my usual. It’s easy and it’s known. I love known. I always get the same thing and right now I need comfort and easy. Maybe I overthink everything and need to let loose. Maybe I’ll… try something new. What do you suggest coffee barista? Honestly, right now I just need to get away from the noise (no espresso please), vent a bit (venti sounds fantastic, thank you), and think about the world (Ethos water? Seems like selling any bottled water is bad for the environment, so I’ll pass). You suggest a scone and a nonfat, double whip, no chai, decaf, venti, coffee free, egg white, eco-friendly mocha Frappuccino? Nah, I’ll just have my usual.
So before we worry that our kids are totally crazy, remember the chai apple tea doesn’t fall far from the chai apple tree. 😉